Friday, December 18, 2009

A Little Clarification

I felt after this post that I probably needed to add a little clarification.  You see I live in somewhat of a welfare state.  The area I live in has a large portion of people who depend on government assistance and hand outs to live.  It's a lifestyle for them.  The mentality in this are is (for the most part) one of "you owe me."  People tend to think that they are entitled to have someone else support them and their lifestyle.  They take no responsibility for making a living, but expect hand outs at every turn.  That was the tone of the phone call that I received yesterday.  This lady seemed to think that because we had given to her family in the past that we owed it to her to help her again.  She expected it and was somewhat rude because she felt like we weren't going to give it to her.  It is usually these type of people who ask for help that when you go to deliver help you will find them driving a brand new car, talking on the latest and greatest cell phone, watching their 50 inch plasma TV, wearing tons of jewelry, with their nails done.  All the while their children are running around in rags and they have no food to eat and no toys to play with.  They put those things last because they know people will not turn the needs of the children away.  It's this type of behavior that has made me somewhat of a cynic.  It's a very sad situation.  Especially for the children.  Unfortunately I think our government feeds into this mentality.   Our nation is need of a lot of prayer.  We have gotten way off track from where we started.

2 comments:

Pennie said...

That is sad. I did notice that when I took two angel tree requests, they were for PS2 games and Aeropostle gift certificates. It makes me more prone to want to give to, say Compassion International or fill shoeboxes for Franklin Graham's ministry. Odd... I just can't imagine that kind of thinking... I'm with you...

Shannon K. said...

I hope I was not one of the commenters that prompted this post. I totally didn't think anything bad...BUT this does lend a new perspective. I really can't stand it when people don't do anything to help their own situation.