Thursday, December 17, 2009

Interesting Things Happen Here!

I work at a church office.  To say that some interesting things happen here is an understatement.  Take for instance the telephone call I just received....

Me:  Good afternoon _________ Church how may I help you?
Female Caller:  Do you help people, do you give people stuff for Christmas?
Me:  Ma'am, you will need to speak to the pastor, but he is not here at the moment.  Can I take your name and number and have him return your call?
Caller:  Well I already talked to him and he told me he would have to check to see what is available.  I just thought you might know something different.
Me:  No Ma'am, you will need to speak to the pastor.
Caller:  Well what about you?  Do you got any extra stuff?  What size clothes do you wear?
Me:  So you need clothes?
Caller:  Yes and sheets.  Are you from here?
Me: Yes, I'm from here. (um, I work here, hello - I didn't really say that part just thought it)
Caller: We've gotten help from there before and I was just wondering what y'all can help with.
Me:  When did you speak to the pastor?
Caller: Last week.  I called him at his house.
Me:  Well let me take down the information about what you need, talk to the pastor, and ask around to see what I can find out.  What size clothes and sheets did you need? 
Caller: Size ___ and ______ & _______ sheets.
Me:  And what is your name and phone #?
Caller: My name is ________ and my phone number is ___________.
Me:  Ok I will see what I can find out.
Caller:  You have my phone number right?
Me: Yes, I have it.
Caller:  Ok, so you call me back.
Me: Ok.

Don't get me wrong.  I have NO problem with people calling for help, that's what we're here for.  But being pushy and asking what size clothes I wear!  I guess some people have no healthy boundaries!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Goodness! That's a leeeeetle on the coo-coo side, no matter what the need is.

Shannon K. said...

This actually makes me feel sort of bad for her...that she is in such a desperate state that she felt compelled to ask that of you. Hopefully your church will have something to offer her
P.S. I realize that this comment may come off like I am trying to make you feel bad...totally NOT at all. I would be weirded out too, but I still feel bad for people who are so down and out.