Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Isn't Anything Safe Anymore?

What do these common household items have in common?

I was listening/watching Fox News while getting ready for work this morning (just like most other mornings) and they had an author on who was talking about these common household items and how they are poisoning us.  Apparently he did some experiments to test the safety of these items and found that they all contain or emit some dangerous chemicals.  If you want to read more about it you can find the article HERE

As a wife and mom I want to know that I am doing whatever I can to keep my family safe and healthy.  However, I am beginning to feel like it's nearly impossible and it's very frustrating.  Does anyone else share my frustration? 

I posted about this here because I am hoping to get your take on the whole situation.  What are your thoughts about the safety of our household items and food supply these days?  What do you do to ensure your families health and safety?

7 comments:

Rudy Rukus said...

Great now I am going to have to go thru my house and through everything away. No not really. I think if we don't over use those items they are okay. It is when we let them wear out and don't pay attention they become a hazard right???

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

Great question... I definitely don't have the answer, though. I did go out of my way to make sure my daughter used BPA-free bottles, but that substance seems to be in everything! We just might switch to chewing bark instead of eating food instead.

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

She woke up FAT said...

I have been feeling the same way. The more I read or listen to the news the more terrified I get of EVERYTHING. I have just decided to go back to living under my rock.

Elizabeth said...

There is an award for you over at my blog!

Pennie said...

My BIL is a neurologist and banned plastic dishes from their home. Directly eating/drinking stuff that came from plastic had too many risks, according to reports & things he had seen in his profession.

I, however, just quit microwaving things in plastic - no tupperware in microwave - but I still freeze in tupperware (the dishes you have pictured - with the snap-on lids? *love them*). You could go crazy with all of it - there's too much plastic out there - I can see the BPA in baby bottles & stuff - & heating...

That's my 2 cents worth! :) Hope you get this figured out!

I'm Erin. said...

I try not to worry too much about it.
I'd probably dedicate my life to being plastic-free and then walk outside and be run over by a truck full of discarded plastic ;)

Konnie said...

My Mom was diagnosed with Bone Marrow Cancer last January and after her diagnosis my sister and I started doing alot of research on things that we all use, and were shocked to learn that candles unless they are soy candles or yankee candles are very bad for you. The problem is actually in the wick which is made from Benzene which is also in Agent Orange and is known to cause many different kinds of cancer and Multiple Sclerosis {which My Dad has} But the dotors have also told us to never heat anything in the microwave in plastic because when the plastic gets hot the chemicals get into your food, if you are going to heat in the microwave{which I do all of the time} to use only glass bowls and always cover them with a glass lid.